|Date Posted||April 29, 2022|
TC Transcontinental, has close to 8,000 employees, the majority of which are based in Canada, the United States and Latin America, with revenues of approximately C$2.6 billion. TC Transcontinental is Canada's largest printer and a leader in flexible packaging in the United States, Canada and Latin America.
For over 45 years, TC Transcontinental's story has been one of innovation and transformation to meet our customers' evolving needs. Our strong family values, entrepreneurial spirit and long-term vision have always been at the heart of our success.
This position will be part of our Printing Sector and In-Store Marketing group. The Printing Sector has over 3,500 employees and 13 state-of-the-art print plants.
About this opportunity
Reporting to the Creative Director, the role of the Structural/Packaging Designer is to develop temporary and semi-permanent display concept / designs and create prototypes in preparation for production. This position will be required to work on site at our Aurora, Ontario location on a regular basis.
What you will do
- Develop temporary and semi-permanent display concepts / designs that meet client objectives within defined parameters; designs include die layouts for sample making pallet patterns, shippers and shipping fillers
- Effectively communicates design and packaging details to internal and external contacts ensuring project information and requirements are clearly understood and production errors are kept to a minimum
- Collaborate with the Graphic / Creative / Industrial department in the design of displays
- Share designs with the Sales Representative and when required revises design based on Sales Rep/client feedback
- Cuts and builds samples, prototypes for client approval prior to production
- Test displays for structural soundness prior to production
- Completes the following production process:
- Prepares CAD drawings for Estimators to finalize quote and order materials
- Prepares electronic die layouts for the creative department and outside agencies
- Forwards die layouts to prepress for various printing processes
- Forwards die layouts to die maker
- Approves production samples
- Provides direction to production staff on the assembly of displays and structures
- Photograph displays prior to shipment when requested by the Sales Rep
- Prepare instruction sheets prior to shipping display
- Develop concepts and designs which demonstrate: a high level of creative; an understanding of the client's needs; an understanding of project parameters (brand, cost, structural)
- Job responsibilities are performed with a high level of accuracy i.e. cad drawings, die layouts, assembly sheets etc.
- Effectively utilize the tools of the job (i.e. computer hardware & software)
- Communicate in a professional, helpful, and friendly manner in dealing with internal and external contacts
- Fully understand and adhere to all relevant Environmental, Health and Safety, Human Resources, Quality, Security and Company policies and procedures;
- Work in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act of Ontario, the Workplace Safety Insurance Act and all other applicable legislated, environmental, health & safety regulations.
What you have to offer
- College/University degree specializing in Package Design or a similar discipline
- 3-5 years experience in the display/packaging industry
- Computer knowledge and skills - CAD (Cimex), Artios Cad, Illustrator, Photoshop, CAPE, 3 dimensional programs - Solidworks, Sketch-up)
- Attention to detail and the ability to think conceptually
- Ability to visualize and draw bi-dimensionally and tri-dimensionally
- Basic knowledge of marketing and merchandising at retail, packing, transportation and distribution of displays and consumer products
- Ability to understand priorities and effectively manage workload towards the completion of deadlines
- Use time effectively, meeting the timelines assigned to a client job
- Demonstrate teamwork by promoting a cooperative work environment, sharing information and helping colleagues solve problems and accomplish work objectives
- Experience working independently and collaborate within a team environment
- Good understanding of basic geometry and sense of aesthetic and cosmetic design
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and visual
- Keep abreast of industry innovations and trends
What we have to offer
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic and highly motivating work environment where you can develop your potential and launch an exciting career
- Employee perks such as discounts from suppliers on various products and services such as insurance, wireless bundles, travel, and much more
- Development opportunities where your input makes a difference. Competitive compensation package, pension and flexible benefits that are customizable to you and your family needs.
TC Transcontinental is committed to providing equal opportunities to all candidates and to meeting the needs of people with disabilities. Should you be contacted regarding an employment opportunity and require an accommodation for a disability, we will be pleased to work with you to identify how we can best support you through this process.
#LI - TH1