|Date Posted||April 27, 2022|
Trades & Services
About Our Job
Do you enjoy problem solving and going above and beyond to diagnose issues with heavy truck equipment? We are looking for an experienced diesel mechanic to join our team to work specifically on the fire trucks of Sarasota County. This position will help ensure our Fire Department has adequate transportation during our public's most vulnerable time of need. With multiple ASE certifications, you have the potential to earn an additional $8 more per hour - more details below!
Demonstrate exceptional skills, integrity, honesty, motivation, and dedication to duty must be a daily work ethic. Repair diesel, gas or electric vehicles and equipment to include all major components. Ensures accurate data documentation and correct charging of parts on all required documentation. Capable of correctly opening, documenting and closing automotive work orders. Cleaning of equipment and area. A professional indeed and attitude, able to organize and always with the mindset of how to improve processes, increase morale and save taxpayer dollars. Ability to repair fluid pumps, hydraulic systems, fluid controls and complex electrical systems. Individual must regularly bend, stretch, use arms, back and legs to perform job task requirements required to accomplish position duties.
- Performs diagnostic tests to identify and rebuild/repair malfunctions on all diesel, gasoline and electric equipment. Makes repairs to include overhaul of major and minor sub-systems. Diagnose hydraulic malfunctions, engines, repairs pumps, cylinders and control valves. Performs repairs on everything from chain saws to rescues, firetrucks, construction and other heavy mowing equipment.
- Overhauls pumps, actuators, transmissions, compressors, vacuum and electric controls and components. May weld and cut parts using welding equipment. Tests overhauled equipment to ensure operating efficiency. Performs fire pump diagnostics, repairs, and pump tests. Installs and repairs air-conditioning units.
- Performs diagnostic tests and repairs/overhauls complete brake and steering systems. Performs inspections and serviceability/reliability checks/repairs/rebuilds on all brake, steering and drive line components. Performs in-depth preventative maintenance inspections and makes repairs to ensure reliability and safety.
- Performs diagnostic test and repairs on emission control systems. Must be able to make electrical system servicing and repairs on the majority of vehicles and equipment assigned.
- Performs accurate documentation on repair work orders. Has ability to correctly open, document and close repair work orders. Correctly charges parts to work orders, completes all required documentation 95% error free. Utilizes laptop computers to complete, verify parts/labor and inputs comments to detail repairs made.
- Ensure a SAFE work environment, identifies/correct safety infractions, walks and talks safety. Wears PPE as required, performs job risk assessments.
- Performs emergency road services to equipment outside the garage. Prepares and maintains records and reports relating to work accomplished. May be assigned as lead worker over mechanics and service workers. On-call mandatory for this position. Performs other related work as required and assigned by supervisor.
Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. On-Call Required.
About You Minimum Qualifications : A High School Diploma or its equivalent and two (2) years of mechanical experience in automotive or heavy vehicle/equipment repair. Must possess or obtain a valid Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with a Tanker endorsement within six (6) months from date of hire. The ability to obtain Hazmat upon request.
Preferred Qualifications : Certification in basic welding desired. Completed/maintains a minimum of two (2) ASE certifications (1 Heavy certification required/EVT certification).
Job Competencies: Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions. General EPA/DEP/OSHA requirements. Experience in Work/Excel desirable. CDL certification for equipment required. May be required for testing heavy trucks/equipment. Fleet Services requires Class B CDL license with Tanker Endorsement. Individuals selected for this position will be required to furnish their own tools. Ability to use Automotive diagnostic test equipment, grinders, drills, brake lathes, tire balancer, tire mounter/demounter and other equipment as trained on is required.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else Pay: $17.78 (Step 1) - $26.11 (Step 14)
*** You can earn an additional $0.20 cents per hour for each ASE approved certification up to $8.00 more per hour. This can increase the maximum hourly rate to $34.11***
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County - Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service - internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call .
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.